Saturday, November 20, 2010

Old School

There is a poll question in the Post Gazette asking the local sports fans: are the Steelers running too much, passing too much on offense, or just have the right mix? 29% say they run too much, 25% say they pass too much, and 46% say it is the right mix. I am an old school football guy and I think the Steelers need to run the football more. Does there offensive dictate this running game procedure? Maybe when the offensive line is healthy. I said it before and I will say it again, the Steelers should have a mandate to run the ball. Here is a eye opening statistic but it refers to a college football program from the ACC. Under Coach Frank Beamer, when the Virginia Tech Hokies have more rushing yardage than their opponent, their record is an amazing 160 and 10. Running and strategically moving the ball down the field corresponds with eating up the clock, weakening the oppositions defense, and freezing the oppositions offense. On the other side of the coin, a team has to have the horses to run the football. I am an advocate of having a great offensive line combined with a couple of good running backs. I like linemen that are powerful, play with leverage, can move their feet, pull on sweeps and angle block. Linemen that know the release point and can go block another defensive player. I am old school but give me 8 to 10 of these guys. It may not be pretty but you can win a bunch of football games running the football.

No comments:

Post a Comment