Monday, December 27, 2010

NFL Experiment

This is an experiment. No, this is not the Incredible Hulk. No, this is not the Six Million Dollar Man. What this is is an NFL experiment. Sports writers are complaining about the NFL playing the postponed Eagles - Vikings game on a Tuesday night which has been moved from Sunday December 26th due to a Nor'Easter and subsequent storm that hammered the East Coast. Why not Monday December 27th instead of Tuesday December 28th? There is a big game on Monday night football tonight, the Saints vs. the 12 and 2 Falcons. By just my humble opinion, I think the NFL has wanted for a long time to play a game of a Tuesday night. Not many football games are played on Tuesday nights. After the World Series is completed, then ESPN carries a Mid America Conference or Conference USA game on a Tuesday night in November. The NFL plays on Thursday nights, the NFL has been playing on Monday nights since 1970, and the NFL has been playing on Sundays nights since 1987. Why not Tuesday night NFL football. Maybe something is going on in Philadelphia on Monday December 27th but I doubt it. I think this is just an experiment by the league to see if a Tuesday NFL game is viable. This is a wild guess on my part but who knows what goes on at the NFL headquarters in New York City.

2 comments:

  1. Joe.

    I've gotten a couple calls from you regarding a few of my players at Girard High School. We have all of their highlight tapes up online. Can you please send me your email address (jfunk@gsd.k12.pa.us) and I can email you the kids' highlight tapes ASAP. Thanks.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. More likely the game went to Tuesday because of how the TV contracts are set up. Both NBC and ESPN pay a nice piece of change for exclusivity on their respective prime time games. I would say this was NBC's call.

    ReplyDelete